Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beyond Method #8 (Screencasting)

This reminds me of the GoToMyPC software that lets someone (hopefully someone you gave permission to) take control of your PC and you can see the mouse moving around and them fixing your computer while you just watch.

I always wondered how the TSL and Webjunction were able to create their webinars and presentations, and now I know!

I chose to use ScreenJelly, which was very simple to use. I just went to the webpage and the interface was ready for me to use right away. I just had to hit record. I think setting up and preparing for the presentation itself would take longer than the actual recording process. I wasn't able to do too much, because as soon as I began to record, my computer began to move very, very slowly. The lag time was terrible. If I were to create a presentation on this computer, I would be afraid I'd constantly have to apologize for a slow computer. This probably wouldn't happen using a faster computer with a lot of bandwith, but for the average smaller library, it might be a problem.

I definitely see a use for screencasting at our library. Using our online catalog, walking a patron through the TexShare databases, using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Office, just about anything. They could access it from anywhere and it would always be available to them (as long as the library would maintain it). Patrons could sign up to use our computers and take these little screencasting quizzes and sharpen their computer skills, without being embarrassed about having to ask for help or take up the librarians time (which many people don't want to do).

No comments:

Post a Comment