Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beyond Method #6 (Ebooks)

I will go on record and admit that I am one of those backward people who like print books. I have a coworker who has a Kindle, and I looked at it one day and had trouble reading the print. Anytime I have to read large blocks of text online (like long scholarly articles, etc.), I have trouble reading it. So, I don't think I will catch on to the trend. I think it's funny that the module mentioned that Project Gutenberg had been around since the 1970s, but people somehow think that eBooks are some kind of new phenomenon.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/102/102-h/102-h.htm

I chose to look up "The tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson" by Mark Twain. I found the text hard to read. Each time I tried to scroll to put more text on the screen, I lost my place or would scroll too far down. I was, however, impressed at how fast it loaded. Usually these things take much to long, but this one was pretty fast.

When someone comes in looking for an older book and we don't have it, we suggest Project Gutenberg, but most patrons either don't have access to the internet (other than the library) or they don't feel comfortable reading books via the internet.

I don't think I would have any trouble helping a patron download a book from Gutenberg to an eReader. Most of the time the software gives you pretty good instructions on how to do it, which is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment